Toxins: what specific types of foods, etc. are harmful to your pets.
By: N Gilbert
PLEASE READ VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
Many household products, medication, and even food can harm your dog and even be fatal. Know the items of what NOT to leave lying about your home for your pet to nose around in. Below are just a few...
1. Onions (BIG NO NO CAN MAKE A DOG EXTREMELY ANEMIC!!!)
2. Baker's Chocolate (the kind you use to bake with, NOT a Hershey bar although it is not recommended to give your pet that either)
3. Grapes/Raisins (Can lead to kidney failure)
4. Apple Seeds/Peach & Apricot Pits (contains forms of arsenic)
5. Alcohol (Really, why would anyone give this to their pet but it does happen)
6. Baker's Dough/Yeast
7. Macadamia Nuts (can cause problems with a dog's nervous and digestive system)
Toxic Household Products:
1. Laundry detergents & fabric softener sheets (can cause digestive problems if ingested)
2. Mouse/ant/rat/insect killers (this is a POISON and DEADLY!!!)
3. Tylenol/aspirin/ibuprofen/or any human medication
4. Mouthwash (high toxin for pets!)
1. Oleanders (one leaf from this plant CAN kill a small pet!!) When disposing of Oleanders, NEVER EVER burn them, the smoke inhalation can cause respiratory problems with your pets!!!
2. Lily Pads
--Also see plant chart posted on this page for other toxic plants
Also know that an ice melt on a driveway or street can contain deadly chemicals for a dog....for instance when they lick themselves they might be licking and ingesting a chemical used inside of a car. Keep an eye open for that.
ALWAYS REMEMBER, YOU WOULDN'T LEAVE THESE ITEMS LAYING ABOUT YOUR HOME FOR SMALL CHILDREN TO GET INTO OR PLAY WITH SO WHY ASSUME YOUR PET WON'T GET INTO THEM. PETS ARE FAMILY MEMBERS TOO BUT THEY CAN'T TELL YOU WHEN THEY DON'T FEEL GOOD SO REMEMBER TO TAKE ALL THE NECESSARY CAUTIONS WITH FOODS, PLANTS, ETC. :)